BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This Bothers Me.

A lot. It has for a long time. And I need help understanding it. Please.

I generally, in my blogs, try to stay away from controversial things and from things about which people might have an opinion (not that it stops some people from giving me theirs anyway), but I think it's time I got some input on this. Mostly because I look around at society in terms of this issue and ask WTF? But also because I have a daughter who is beginning to process input more personally and who is being exposed to more and more pop culture happenings every day, despite my best attempts at keeping her sheltered to a ridiculous degree, and I want to know why my opinion on this subject might come across as retarded.

So here's the thing:

Why is it that violence is okay and sex is not?

Let me explain. In college, I worked in a video store. One evening, a woman approached the counter with three or four movies and asked me about them. Specifically, she wanted to know why they were rated "R". I told her they had adult content in them (Duh). As I remember it, they were all movies along the lines of "Die Hard" and some sort of killer-robot sci-fi things.
"Yeah," she says, "but is it sex stuff, or is it just violence? I don't want my boys to see sex stuff."
Just violence? So, she's telling me she's all right with her "boys" (who were running around the store yelling and hitting each other with various items and knocking over displays) seeing the hero punch someone in the neck or rip their still-beating heart out , but it's not okay if the hero goes ahead and plants one on his damsel-in-distress? Is an over-the-blouse boob-squeeze really going to warp their little minds more than seeing people get shot, impaled, blown up, decapitated, etc?

When talking to several people about the Twilight books, a woman I don't know very well mentioned that she enjoyed the first three books, but didn't like the fourth one "because of all the sex. I liked that they didn't have any sex in the other ones, but the fourth one was just too raunchy and explicit." UmmmmKay. But Edward ripping out James' throat and dismembering him in the first one was just peachy.

Yesterday I took The Girl to the dentist. Yay! An hour in which I'm forced to sit on a comfy sofa in the waiting room and read. The dentist wanders in and asks what I'm reading.
"Hunger Games," I tell him, trying not to be rude, but obviously returning my attention back to the book. (Great book, btw. I cheered, I cried, I flipped it over and started again right after reading "the end".)
"Oh," he says, "that's a great book. I just listened to the audio version." I nod politely and turn the page. "I really like that there was no sex in it." Freeze mid-turn.
What there is in Hunger Games is a group of starving teenagers forced to play a gladiator/Survivor type game in which the last person alive wins. The heroine and main character shoots a guy in the neck with an arrow, watches the big bad competitor break another competitors neck with his hands, has her face slashed by a crazy chick with a coat full of knives, has to help her love interest recover from having his leg almost hacked off with a sword, watches her best friend get impaled by a spear...you get the idea, right?
"Yeah," I say, "but there's a lot of...kissing." I do my best not to roll my eyes and return to my chapter, perturbed.

So. I think you can probably glean which way I lean on this issue. I'm not a fan of violence. I don't like DickFlicks with people dying in horrible bloody painful ways. I don't want my daughter watching (or reading) that kind of thing. I hate HATE watching little boys play. But I would be okay with her seeing someone kiss someone else. Not that I want her to see anything sexually explicit, but if it came right down to me having to choose between her watching a movie rated R for violence and one rated R for sex, I'm going to have to go for the one with nookie in it, as long as it has a story and the people like each other while they're doin' it.

My question for you, oh patient reader, is: Why is violence in media considered more acceptable than sex?

Thanks.

6 comments:

Holly said...

A question for the ages, why is sex considered taboo in this day and age?

For me it comes down to a matter of context. Is it gratuitous sex or violence? Or is part of the story? And ultimately, is it a good story?

I am one of those bad parents that took their 11 year old to see "R" rated movies, ie, Jerry Maguire, Fight Club, ect, ect. The kids and I discussed the movie prior to going to the theater and following viewing the film. I wanted them to ask me the questions they had regarding the sex and violence rather then their friends, magazines, the internet or television.

The boy had all the Grand Theft Auto video games the day they hit the store shelves. He was more into defeating it (the game) then the context.

They traveled, attended rock concerts and hung out with the bands.

Neither of them are violent individuals, they never raised their hands to hit another and didn't become sexual active until mid-college. No drugs.Period. The drinking came along with the sex in junior year of college. They are both civilized, intelligent, thoughtful individuals with strong wills and determination.

They haven't been to therapy to complain that they are emotionally damaged in their childhoods.

They also read National Geographic, Smithsonian, Wired, Time magazines and lots of comics along with shelves of books on a wide range of topics mostly about history and the planet itself.

I think the key is communication with your children, working with them to so that they are well rounded and striving to understand people and the planet.

I can't say that I prefer sex over violence in my literature, films, television or music, I prefer a balance of reality and content.

Jenkins said...

If it were for me to guess I would say that somehow, someway the puritan influence that was with the pilgrims when we founded this country has stayed in tact. Nevermind the fact that they killed all the Indians and went to war with the French, British, Mexicans and whoever else decided they didn't want America to succeed. that is not important......Death for Liberty is okay. Wet T-Shirt contest for Liberty? Oh hell no!!!
We, as a whole, are prudes. It is ridiculous. We are so far behind the rest of the civilized world on this one subject it is laughable. I would rather my kids see a little skin than the insides of someone whose life was wasted for no reason. And people wonder why we are so desensitized to violence?

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those that doesn't like the sex in the film, but I'm fair, i don't like the violence either. It really bothers me that certain of my relatives say a rated R movie isn't bad if it's "just violence". Personally nudity is more upsetting to me than kissing and I also would rather my teen daughter see a couple falling in love and kissing than someone's head being ripped off.

Personally I'd like a good clean (kissing, no nudity) romantic comedy any day over fighting, even the fantasy Star Wars type.

Ali said...

Hunger Games=Great Book!

I think you are pointing out here that people can't see that they are walking contradictions, right? Either embrace both or none, big fat dorks!

Hypothesis: Could be cultural. From what I hear from one of my step dads, a Swedish guy, in Europe sex and nudity is not shocking or seen as all that bad, and violence is really shocking over there.

Hypothesis: As a general rule, people are more likely to act out on lust than violence. Violence tempts some people, lust tempts everyone. If that is true then you could conclude that lust is more dangerous because it's more universal.

Me, I'd rather not show my kids violence or sex. I'd rather show them cartoon comradery that will in no way prepare them for the cruel and hateful world we live in.

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

A question that has always made me go hmmmmmm. Think back to when Larry Miller fought tooth and nail to get Brokeback Mountain banned from the local theatres he owned due to homosexuality and sexual themes but people pointed out that he was showing one of the most violent graphic horror films at his theatres and wasn't worried about how that affected anyone.
Apparently sex is taboo violence is not.
What about sexual violence and where they stand on that one?

grayacre said...

How's this: Violence is used to sell movies and (some) TV, sex (especially female sexuality and/or nudity) is used to sell movies, some TV, and basically everything else. Both of them hit some pretty basic emotional and physical triggers, and as long as we live in a market-driven society, those triggers will be used to make money.

Check out http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2009/10/meta.html for someone who says it a lot better than I could (about halfway through the article).