BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 16, 2009

Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit *Updated with comment replies. Thank you!*
Current mood:bunnified
Category: Pets and Animals

Well, I had a right crappy weekend, how about you? After cleaning every pet-related item in my house, which includes but is not limited to: three bunny cages, a frog tank, an aquarium, dog beds and the cats' closet, I was ready to get all pertied up to go on a date with The Hubs. But the headache gods decided they were bored and so smote me with the migraine to end all.

Some of you know I've had just over a year of Lars pounding around in the back of my noggin and have learned to live with my whining about being in semi-constant pain. So, what's a migraine on top of that?

Barfing, hyper-sensitive to all stimuli, full-body muscle aches and a skull full of rusty nails. That's what.

It was a party. For two days. But now I'm better, thanks. I'm drug-free and ready to take on the day!
But first, I'm going to indulge in some bunny talk.

So in case you were counting bunny cages up there, you might have noticed an addition. We got yet another rabbit. No, not the kind that buzzes and keeps Momma happy; an actual Sylvilagus floridanus for the girl. Am I a sucker? Yes. Yes I am.
We had innocently and selflessly stopped at the local Humane Society shelter just to drop off some old dog beds so the pound puppies can be comfy and have something to pee on. Having some extra time before flute lesson, we decided to hold the bunnies. It's something we do; the poor little things are trapped inside plexiglass cages barely big enough for them to stretch their big feet out in, so we feel it our duty to make the slack-jaw attitudinal chick behind the counter come get one out for us to cuddle and pet and talk baby-talk to. Usually I am very firm about not taking one home. We're just holding them. Okay, maybe not so firm; we ended up taking one home the last time we tried this. That's how we got Thumper.
But, no, today we were NOT going to get a rabbit.
But then, here's this ginormous lop. Who not only sits complacently in our laps, but actually snuggles her big head under G's chin.
And the begging and bargaining began.
"But, G, you have two rabbits already!'
"But, Momma, I promise I'll take care of her!"
"But, G, you whine when I ask you to change the bunny boxes now."
"But, Momma, I promise I won't! I'll change their boxes, I promise!"
"But, G, where will we keep her? There's no more room by the other bunny cages."
"But, Momma, she can live in my room. Momma, she needs me. They're going to kill her!"
And she has me there. I'm a sucker for the shelter animals. No-kill shelters, I'm okay, I can walk away. But not from an animal who might be living on borrowed time. And she'd been there for two months. So, we talked to the dad, agreed that it would be her birthday present (to which she says, "That's fine, my friends will get me toys. So will Mimi and Poppa. And Nana too, probably. So it's okay if you don't. I'll have enough. I just want the bunny from you."), and after a day of me running around to various pet stores to procure another set of supplies; Viola! Another bunny in my little, over-run house.

But I must admit, caving in to this bunny acquisition was not just about saving an animal from an untimely death or to further teach my daughter that she can have anything she wants. No, it's a much more neurotically driven one, really.
We're still searching for THAT bunny. That bunny who is happiest when it is being held by a small child. That bunny who bounds joyfully up to the nearest human and begs to be picked up and snuggled. That bunny who will complacently sit in my daughter's arms while she hauls it all over the house, and take a happy ride in a doll's carriage and never kicks when it's picked up and never struggles when it's put down.
See, we had THAT bunny once. And now we are forever frantically searching to replace her: the first bunny we had, the one who made my daughter the happiest little chick in the world. That bunny who was tragically and horrifically taken from us one awful night that none of us will forget, the night that not only ripped a little fluffy soul from our furry family, but earned banishment for my mother-in-law's dog. That and a punch to his head from me.
We got Asia to replace that bunny. Asia is beautiful and clever, but hates to be held.
Where the hell is my cage?
We got Thumper to try to at least have one we could hold. He's a sweetie and fairly tolerant, but still not joyful about the holding and the cuddling.
Thumper taking a turn about the garden
They're pretty tight.
bunny wuv
So, now here's Clover.
Clover
G and the new bunny, Clover
She's so far freaking out about this big new world of dogs, cats, children and other rabbits who want to beat the crap out of her. She's not quite sure about this whole litter-box thing. She doesn't want to be held right now, which is again breaking the child's heart. The child doesn't want to be patient, doesn't want to give Clover some time to settle in. The child wants THAT bunny back.
THAT bunny, Luna. We miss her.


I do too.

But I'm settling for these three sometimes letting me rub their little heads. For now.
We could do four rabbits, right?

I'll put up some videos of bunny cuteness right after I figure out how to do that. Technotard Go!

0 comments: